CDC warned Monday about an outbreak of Salmonella tied to pet bearded dragons. In an investigation notice, the agency said there had been 44 illnesses and 15 hospitalizations reported across 25 states. No deaths have been reported.
CDC explained that the Bearded dragons can carry Salmonella germs in their droppings even if they look healthy and clean. These germs can easily spread to their bodies and anything in the area where they live and roam. You can get sick from touching your bearded dragon or anything in its environment and then touching your mouth and swallowing Salmonella germs.
The Symptoms of Salmonella include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps and usually begin six hours to six days after swallowing the bacteria. Some people – especially those with weakened immune systems, children younger than 5 and adults older than 65 – may experience more severe illness, requiring medical treatment or hospitalization.